|VHB BikeWays Bike Route App Information
The VHB BikeWays Smartphone Application
BikeWays uses the iPhone and Android's GPS support to track users' bicycle trip routes. It's simple to use: tap Start to start recording your ride, Save at the end, and specify a purpose (commuting, shopping, exercise, etc.). Data representing the purpose, route, date and time are sent to VHB's servers. (All personally identifiable data will be kept confidential. *Users can cancel a trip at any time for any reason and no data will be sent unless explicitly directed by the user.)
Think of it as a travel survey that asks you why and where you are riding, but automatically maps your route rather than asking you to write it down from memory.
iPhone Users: » Download the VHB Bikeways App through iTunes
Andoid Users: » Download the VHB Bikeways App through Google Play
For more information on the project, e-mail Nicole Serafin at email@example.com
*—We will know your iPhone's Unique Device Identifier (UDID) or your Android phone's Device ID in order to group trip data by users. No other identifying information is collected except with your opt-in permission. Anonymous data may be shared with other public agencies for planning purposes.
How to Use VHB BikeWays for iPhone
NOTE: We are currently working on a reported error with the iPhone 5.
How to Use VHB BikeWays for Android
VHB Bikeways uses your iPhone’s GPS support to record your bicycle trips, display maps of your rides, and help transportation planners make your city or town a better place to bike. At the end of each trip, data representing your trip purpose, route, and the date and time are confidentially sent (see note below) to the local planning authority. You’ll be helping VHB’s transportation planners better understand the needs of cyclists—and you’ll get to see maps and statistics of your rides.
NOTE: We will know your iPhone’s Unique Device Identifier (UDID) in order to group trip data by users. No other identifying information is collected except with your opt-in permission.
EASY TO USE:
Record a bike trip with VHB Bikeways in four easy steps:
1. Tap “Trip Purpose” on the Record New Trip screen. We’re interested in the main purpose of your trip.
2. Select a purpose on the Trip Purpose screen. Tap “Save.”
3. Back on the Record New Trip screen, tap “Start.” VHB Bikeways will lock and dim your screen and begin recording your trip.
4. At the end of your trip, unlock the phone and tap “Save” to upload your data to the Transportation Authority’s server. Add a comment if you like.
All data will be collected confidentially, and you can choose not to save or transmit any trip for any reason. Tap “Save” and, when the confirmation screen comes up, tap “Discard.” No data will be saved or transmitted.
Personal Info data involves a few basic questions useful to our study, but they’re optional and confidential. If you wish to give us your email address (which will not be shared with any third parties), we can keep you updated on the progress of the study.
In order to remind you that the app is running and to save your battery, your iPhone will ring like a bicycle bell and vibrate after 15 minutes, and every 5 minutes thereafter. If Bikeways is running when your iPhone battery reaches less than 20% of its charge, the app will automatically stop collecting data and quit.
SHARE MAPS OF YOUR RIDES WITH OTHERS:
TIPS TO MAKE SURE VHB Bikeways WORKS PROPERLY:
- Tap Saved Trips at the bottom of your screen to see your list of previous rides.
- Choose one, zoom in or out, and take a screenshot (press Sleep/wake and Home simultaneously).
- Share the screenshot via email or download it to your computer.
iTunes is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Content purchased from the iTunes Store is for personal lawful use only. Don't steal music.
- DO NOT push the “Sleep/wake” button on top of your iPhone while running Bikeways: it will stop recording and you’ll lose your trip data. The app must be visible on your screen in order to work properly; the screen is dimmed to conserve battery life.
- DO NOT push the “Home” (main menu) button while on your ride or Bikeways will stop recording.
- DO NOT change tracks or playlists in iPhone’s iPod while running Bikeways. Begin play before starting Bikeways.
- If you receive a call in the middle of a ride, Bikeways will stop recording while you are on the phone. When you finish the call, Bikeways will restart and resume recording.
1. Recording a Trip
2. Selecting a Trip Purpose
- Tap the Start Recording button to instantly start recording a bike trip. This will activate the GPS receiver on your phone and begin tracking your ride. You can tap the Pause button to temporarily stop or start receiving GPS updates. Click Finish when you're done with your ride.
- Thanks to Android's background-app capability, you don't need to do anything special to keep BikeWays running. You can put the phone to sleep or use other apps while recording. The small green BikeWays icon in the notification bar will keep recording your moves. Note: VHB does not recommend using your phone while you're in motion!
- In order to remind you that the app is running and to save your battery, your phone will ring like a bicycle bell after 15 minutes, and every 5 minutes thereafter. If BikeWays is running when your battery reaches less than 10% of its charge, the app will automatically stop collecting data and quit.
We're interested in the MAIN purpose for each trip you make. Think about why you are out and about on your bike to begin with. If you're unsure how to categorize a trip, select "Other." You can always attach an explanatory note to your data before transmitting.
3. Personal Info
Tap Menu > Edit User Info. This is completely optional, and, if you choose to participate, only has to be done once. It involves a few basic questions useful to our study. They are optional and confidential.
If you wish to give us your email address (which will not be shared with any third parties), we can keep you updated on the progress of the study, and will enter you into a raffle for some neat prizes.
Thank you for using VHB Bikeways. The more data we get, the better our biking policy can be!