|Vision Plan Goal
To develop a continuous multi-use trailway through Nassau County that will, to the extent possible, utilize the route of the historic Long Island Motor Parkway.
Vision Plan Objectives
- Trail will offer an alternative mode of transportation by accommodating non-motorized
multiple users such as pedestrians, in-line skaters and cyclists.
- Trail will be handicapped accessible.
- Trail will connect, where possible, to other existing and planned trail systems and
support the parallel goal of a Nassau Country “Grand Loop” trail system.
- Trail will provide alternative non-motorized access to many towns and villages, open
space resources, employment centers, retail centers and important civic destinations.
schools, courthouse, post office, etc.
- Trail amenities will interpret historic remnants of the original Motor Parkway and,
where feasible, protect, rehabilitate and utilize, or fully restore those remnants.
- Trail will be designed to New York State and/or Nassau County DPW highway standards
and all other applicable codes and requirements.
- Trail will support, where possible, additional recreational opportunities such as birding,
cultural interpretation, nature education and/or other leisure activities.
- Trail will utilize durable materials to minimize long-term maintenance.